1. Senior executives don’t use or get social media. If you’re an older, hard-working senior executive, you probably don’t have the time to really check out social media.
2. There is no simple way to measure ROI. If companies are trying to apply traditional ROI metrics to social media, it’s a lot like trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. Social media is a different beast with “hard” and “soft” metrics.
3. Many companies cling to belief that if something ain’t broke, don’t fix it. With the global economy appearing to be in recovery mode, many companies have been able to stick with traditional marketing and advertising tools.
4. As Lee Oden also pointed out, many companies have a difficult time trying to understand that social media means they have to change their behaviour.
5. The social media ecosystem has done a pretty lousy job of putting the spotlight on social media “success”.
Via: Sysomos blog